Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Ukee poopie

Yesterday, Jesse and I took Ashton to Ukee for the first time since Jesse's mom passed away six days before the birth of the little guy.  We meant to get out sooner but the weather sucked.  And when the weather sucks here, it sucks even more to get there.  Jesse and I ate our usual lunch at Breakers in Tofino.  Their wraps are amazing.  I had the turkey & bacon wrap, which uses real turkey (not the deli meat turkey, but the kind of turkey that my Grandmother might cook up for the holidays).  Ashton polished off a full bottle before I even had a chance to finish lunch and then got antsy.  We executed a diaper change in the car and drove to Ukee.  We made a quick stop at the Ukee baby store as we were en route to the Wild Pacific trail where we were planning to walk with Ashton.  While I was purchasing some awesome shoes that were on sale for 9 dollars, a bomb dropped and the noise reverberated through the store.  The origin of the noise?  The child in the carseat.  Ashton looked completely shocked and Jesse said, "I think he pooped".  We put him in the car and were surrounded by the most unholy stench.  We drove to the house to change Ashton.  He was extremely pleased with himself and smiled the entire time.  When we got him out of the carseat, we saw a small stain on his pants.  No big deal, just a small diaper leak.  When we removed his pants, we saw it.  It was all the way down to the ankles.  As Jesse and I debated on how to remove the brown onesie (it was blue when I first put him in it) without messing up the babe, Ashton smiled more and more.  Eventually we removed the onesie to find that it was all the way to his chest.  When we removed the diaper, we found there was very little that was actually contained.  Ashton made finger-paint like drawings on the change mat with his feet while Jesse rinsed the diaper in the toilet and put it in the wet-bag (wet-bags are awesome) and I attempted to clean him.  Jesse says "What are we going to do with him?" and I said "I don't know.  All I know is that he's going to pee soon".  We decided to just put him in the sink, though Jesse would have preferred to take him outside and hose him off.  Ashton was very happy with his bath in the sink and the subsequent rinses.  He very joyously peed in the water as soon as we put him in.  Am I ever glad I pack an abundance of baby washcloths, not to mention baby clothes.  Anyway, he ate more when he was all changed and then threw up on himself and the floor.  I said "Ashton...we cannot take you anywhere!" and he stuck his tongue out at me in response.  We had a good night, had dinner with Neil and the cranky, tired (but will not nap) Ashton.  I can't really complain...he slept a continuous 12 hours the night before.  I took pictures:
Ashton and I have been getting out way more.  We have been going to this baby thing at the Health Unit where he hangs out and plays, we do songs and stuff and then ask questions and talk about baby things.  Last week a friend of mine came with me.  Her daughter is 6 months and weighs less than Ashton (he was double her birthweight when he was born though).  It's fun having Ashton around other babies.  He doesn't really respond much to them, but sometimes will smile.
Soon I hope to get back in to my music.  I was thinking about going back to the band with my trombone and just doing violin on my own until I figure out where I can go to resume my lessons here.  It would be cool if Ashton expressed an interest in music.  I like to teach.  Once I tried to teach Jesse how to play the piano.  
Jesse: How is that key C when you just said this one was C?
Me: *Explains*
Jesse: I don't understand...THEY CAN'T BOTH BE C.
We haven't had any lessons since.

No comments: