Friday, February 20, 2009

Pregnancy

Everyone seems to be pregnant right now and it makes me a little nostalgic.  Not that I want to be pregnant right now.  I have a three month old who is teething and growth-spurting and I don't want to add a new baby to the mix.  Sooo I was thinking back to my pregnancy and realized that I would have been newly pregnant this time last year and didn't even know it yet. 
So I am celebrating this by posting pictures.  One is my belly at about 10 weeks and the other is Darcy in his favourite sleeping place at much further on than 10 weeks.  I'd say closer to 25ish.
 
They say that once a woman goes through pregnancy and labour, she forgets everything and that is why she does it all over again.  I think to how little I could move, hauling myself up the stairs, having to wear sandals in November in the rain because my feet were huge, bathroom excursions every 5 mins, countless nights playing Nintendo DS while my husband slept peacefully beside me, getting up between 1:30 and 3:30 am every morning because I couldn't sleep anymore, being so hot all the time, countless visits to ER, the pelvic pain, the stupid blood sugar testing, strangers asking if I was having twins or if I was "ready to pop" in August! and then the labour...ohh the labour.  It's all so fresh in my mind yet at one point, I will probably do it all over again.  The good parts? There were lots.  The ultrasounds...7 weeks, 21 weeks, the 3d one at 29 weeks.  Seeing the developing baby.  The excitement, the growing belly, shopping for stuff, people offering to help me, just being pregnant.  
I remember that I went to buy the crib, change table and dresser (it came as a set) and it was this huge box.  I had my Sentra and there was no way this box was going to fit in the car.  It must have been May or June and I was totally visibly pregnant (I got really big really fast).  I got the store guy to wheel the box out for me and when we got to my car, he gave me a look.  I said "I know it's not going to fit but just leave it and I will unpack the box and squeeze it in".  At that point, Jesse's Pathfinder was dead in the driveway (still is...funny that).  So I looked at the massive box and dug in.  It was windy and I was chasing the instruction manual around the parking lot, as well as pieces of styrofoam.  A really nice older couple came over and asked if I needed help.  I told them I was okay and explained what I was doing.  The lady went into the store and told her husband to stay and help me.  He couldn't really do much but he held the box for me and stopped things from blowing away while I removed the stuff inside.  He told me about when he had kids and talked about his grandkids too.  It was nice to have the company because it took forever to get stuff in my car.  His wife came out and talked for a little while, then I finished with packing and they left.
One other thing that was funny was that I was so freaking huge.  I worked till I was 6 or so months along and then had some issues and went on medical leave.  Anyway, I work behind a desk all day and people come and talk to me about work related business all the time.  Nobody really mentioned the fact that I was pregnant or huge and I was really grateful for that because when I would get up for breaks, everyone would talk to me about that.  I once heard a couple people talking about how huge I was and I walked into them talking and got really upset.  So when I was leaving, I mentioned to a couple people that I was going on mat leave soon and they were like "Oh, you're pregnant?".  I guess me being behind a desk hid my big preggo belly.  Funny!

No comments: