Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween and reusable coffee cups

I always hate reading the news the day after Halloween. Like this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/11/01/halloween-shooting.html
Although the frequency of Halloween related violence is certainly not new and crime in this country has been declining for decades, it is still concerning. This particular incident was in the States but it still freaks the hell out of me, especially now that I am a mother. I like the idea of community bonfires that are held as family events and I definitely look forward to having good times on Halloween with my family. Trick-or-treating is a tradition that I adore though. It was nice when I was little to go around the neighbourhood. It was familiar and I knew everyone. Every year, this little old man who lived a few houses down would scare us when we came knocking. He was so much fun and I always looked forward to going there. I think that trick-or-treating is still a tradition that can be carried out with the same kinds of precautions that one would exercise with their children normally. Adequate supervision, familiar neighbourhoods, going to houses you know, etc.
Today I was also thinking a lot about the environment. Anyone who knows me knows that I love my Timmy's coffee. I have always thought about disposible cups when I just get mine and realize that I didn't bring my reusable favourite Starbucks pumpkin and candy adorned Halloween themed coffee cup. I reuse sleeves but I know I should be remembering the cup. Today I remembered the cup and was pleased with myself. It's just a matter of remembering it. Even if I'm remembering the cup every second cup of coffee, I'm still reducing my personal consumption of disposable cups by 50%. As I was slowly sipping my coffee today, I realized how toasty the coffee stays in the reusable cup. I am a slow sipper and usually by the time the coffee is halfway finished, I'm drinking lukewarm coffee and occasionally having to microwave it. Today, I had hot coffee right down to the last drop. Saving the environment and having the benefit of fresh, hot coffee. Now, like the reusable shopping bags, I must actually remember to put the cup in the car before I leave the house. Hopefully my brain function returns after I have this baby and I can remember the bags and the cup at least most of the time. Actually after the baby, I plan to make more coffee at home which is ultimately the best thing. I have had such little coffee lately that creamer will go bad as I will not make enough to use the cream by the best before date as I have seriously cut back on coffee since I got pregnant. In fact, I didn't drink it most of my pregnancy because the smell made me feel all yucky until around month 7. I drank weakly-caffeinated coffee-ish beverages, which were flavoured to satisfy the caffeine withdrawl headaches.

No comments: