Friday, November 7, 2008

Due date

Today is the day my monster is due. I figure it's less likely that he comes today than any other day because apparently 5% of babies actually come on their due dates. To be honest, I am antsy and any time anyone jokes about how he'll probably be a week late, I almost snap.

Yesterday, I re-learned crochet and am using some of my spare yarn to make the coolest granny afghan ever. This day and age is amazing for learning a new craft. Learning crochet before was a matter of picking up an instructional book or having someone teach you. Something that is passed down through generations and learned from a mother or a grandmother. I learned to knit from my mother, who originally helped a little with crochet when I first bought a crochet book and made half a blanket from it. She told me it would drive me nuts and it did.



Enter, yarn:

I like to buy yarn by the boatload and about a year ago, knitted an entrelac ear warmer headband called Quant (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTquant.htmlUEwinter07/PATTquant.html) with a yarn called Twilley's of Stamford Freedom Spirit. I liked the feel of the wool and the colours of it. I loved Quant and how every square was basically a different colour without me even having anything to do with it. So I bought 2 balls of a different colour for a scarf and it didn't work with the scarf pattern. Mom bought a ball and made her own Quant and donated me her leftovers. Every time I went to the yarn store, I came home with a ball of a different colour. I ended up with six different colours and decided I didn't want to make six different Quants after all. The yarn was purchased around the time I became pregnant and I thought it would be perfect for my cold-weather baby as a blanket. I started knitting log-cabin squares and finished a square and a half before putting it aside and doing something else. And now is where the yarn comes in. I figured that doing something new could take my mind off the fact that I am waiting for my babe, impatiently and rather painfully. I remembered the granny squares from years ago and thought about my beloved 6 different colours of wool. I couldn't find the crochet book and didn't have mother handy so I learned to crochet on youtube and instructional websites. It just amazes me that picking up something new can be this easy and I wonder why more people don't just pick stuff up like that (or maybe they do). So I tore apart my half-done log cabin square (I can't bear to tear apart the fully done one because I am emotionally attached to it and it's pretty) and dug out the wool. It took a couple tries before it looked normal but I have a good 10 inches on it now after very little time spent. I am so pleased. Rather than making several squares, I'm just going around and around and making one big granny square until I run out of wool. Jesse asks me, "How big is this blanket going to be?" and I say "It could be a baby blanket, or it could be bigger. We'll see when I run out of wool".
(On a side note, I haven't forgotten my reusable cup since the last post. But I have forgotten the shopping bags)

No comments: