Thursday, October 7, 2010

Milestones and memories

This blog is becoming a place where I want to record ongoing memories and milestones of my children. I am finding it so odd that Ashton is growing so fast and I keep wondering "Will I remember this stage?" and I want to remember. Two nights ago, I was lying on the couch being pained by awful BH contractions and Ashton was standing at the coffee table with his dinosaur magazine. He was flipping through the pages and babbling to them and pointing to things and then nodding and turning to the next page, etc. He was so careful with the pages and just looked so grown up. He doesn't talk yet but he has words (Mom, Dad, yogurt, banana, bird, meow, moo, baaa, rawr, etc) but he sounded like he was talking with his magazine. I thought to myself, "Will I remember this moment when he was 22 months old and doing this?"
It is 11 days away from Camryn's due date and I have been thinking a lot to what Ashton was like as a baby. Ashton is still my baby but when she comes, I have been told that you realize that your firstborn is actually NOT a baby but a little boy in comparison to your second child.
One of my favourite memories of motherhood so far:
When Ashton was a couple months old and cranky, I would lie on the couch with my knees up and put him sitting so that his back was against my thighs and I would hold him steady and rock my knees back and forth and sing to him. I would sing Beatles songs like "In My Life" and "Blackbird" and he would stop crying as long as I kept rocking and singing. Before Ashton, I always thought that I would never sing to my kids. I'm musical, yeah but I don't sing. I pretend to sing a lot of the time at certain functions (when I was involved in Guiding for example). But here I am, a mom and I sing to my kid every day. I sang to him in the womb, I sing to him now. If he's grumpy now and I try and sing to him, he shakes his head "no" and screams at me and tries to swat me away. Singing is for happy occasions these days.

Anyway, Jesse has been taking Ashton to sportball for a couple weeks and I decided to go watch last week. It is so fun to watch! I am astounded at what my little man can do. I watched him kick a football off a cone, chase a hula hoop, play with a parachute. This week, it's hockey.

No comments: